I started to do a little research on podcasting in schools and have found that there is a wealth of information out there on using podcasting in schools. You do not need to have an iPod to view podcasts. You only need a computer and microphone. We have a lot of whiteboards in our school so this could be easily done in the classroom. Has this been done?? No. My school is not utilizing podcasting. I think one reason is that most of the teachers don't realize that podcasting is something they can do. Another is that the administrators have no idea that podcasting can be done.
I then started thinking about ways to use podcasts at school. The first thing that popped into my head was Black History Month. We are doing daily trivia questions over the intercom. We have music playing and clues are given. Students have to turn in their responses and at the end of the day a winner is announced. It would be so cool to put together a podcast with these clues. Not only could the students hear the questions but they could see the video or pictures to go along with it. I think kids would be so much more involved and interested. In fact, Exceptional Children's week is coming up and I think I'm going to have the special ed department put together a podcast each day. We usually talk about famous people that have disabilities. Teachers with whiteboards could view it. I'm not sure how to go about getting access to classrooms that don't have access. There are still a few weeks left to figure that out.
The last thing I realized is that podcasts could also be used to help bridge the gap between teachers and parents. Our PTA has their own website. If we made podcasts of important information it would be a quick way to get information out. We also have a large Hispanic population. Some of those parents don't read in Spanish so when we send letters home they don't always get that information. If we put up some podcasts in Spanish it would help get the information out to those parents as well.
Podcasting can definitely create changes in a school. I had not thought about this before. I think that initially it will be time consuming until we become familiar with doing it. I think it would then become almost second-nature.
I was nervous about the podcasting assignment as well. I was relieved to find out that it was easier to make one than I had expected! My only previous experience with podcasting was last spring when I did my full day in a middle school media center. I put together a multi-media presentation on the Georgia Children's Book Award nominees, and I found that Nancy Keane had done a "book talk" podcast on one of the nominees. I used it in my presentation, and the media specialist at the middle school said she was also using podcasting for book talks, but she was letting the students record them. I like your idea of making podcasts in Spanish to help bridge the gap for your Spanish speaking parents that don't read. I guess the next issue for that would be...where do they view the podcast if they don't have a home computer? I am thinking they could either utilize the computers in the school media center or the ones at the public library.
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame that your school isn't utilizing podcasts. I think there is a misconception that creating podcasts is difficult, and along with all the other responsibilities educators are tasked with, they likely feel time constraints don't allow them to take advantage of this technology. I've recently learned that podcasts, audio-only podcasts especially, are quite simple to develop. By utilizing podcasts in the classroom, teachers can better differentiate learning and accommodate a variety of learning styles. And as you mentioned, it can help lessen the language barrier for ELL students and their parents.
ReplyDeleteIn order to dispel this misconception that podcasts are time-consuming and challenging, I think it would be beneficial for media specialists to hold in-services for teachers and administrators about the benefits of podcasting and how to do it. Media specialists can also offer suggestions about how student podcast assignments can be incorporated into lesson plans.
The idea of podcasting can be extremely intimidating for adults who lack the knowledge base as to how podcasts can be beneficial. The professional development/training has to be such that it involves support that is on-going. My first introduction to podcasting was through my daughter's school. Her school is technology rich and is the only (I think) Apple Distinguished School in the state (The Atlanta Girls's School). However, her comfort level with the technology does not quite resonate the same with me. I am getting to a point as to where I am more comfortable with the technology but it is taking some time. With respect to our podcasting assignment, I was not provided with a great deal of support in completing it as noone in my building (that I encountered) was able to assist me, much less had even attempted one of their own. I am finding however, that the more we expose our students to the benefits of technology in which they are already familiar, the battle is half won. In fact, our students are charged for the most part to help lead the way as we work hard to expose them to new ways of learning.
ReplyDeleteTiffany,
ReplyDeleteThe idea of creating podcasts in Spanish is a good one but only if the parents can view them. I know that some of our Spanish families do have access to a computer so they might be willing to share with neighbors or at least to relay the message. Another way might be to use a computer at the library. My last suggestion is that parents could view them in the school library. If my school were to truly start doing this I think it would take a little bit of time before Spanish speaking parents started to seek out the podcasts. I think that once these parents realized that it contained a lot of helpful information they would take advantage of a public or school library computer if possible. I think it would also be beneficial for the school to keep track of how many parents were actually viewing the podcasts and how they would be getting access to them.
I think a lot of people are missing a lot of great opportunities with podcasts. It is an excellent to get students to create something. They can create stories and sound effects. It is so much fun!! Great article. The GA DOE has as initiative with Apple iTunes. Students and Teachers can share and access resources which are already aligned to the GPS.
ReplyDeleteStudents in all content areas can implement lessons which are project-based using podcasts. There are also a lot of sites which offer free sound effects. Let's put it all together.
1. Write a lesson which requires student to create a recording
2. Plan the narration/story
3. Use a plan desktop microphone to record
4. Use Audacity to edit your podcast
5. add sound effects.
http://public.doe.k12.ga.us/ts.aspx?PageReq=TSitunesU