Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Two Cents on Media Web Pages

When learning about all the new sophisticated Web 2.0 tools that have popped up in recent years, one has to ask herself if a “plain old Web page” is still the best choice for hosting the media program information that needs to be available to stakeholders. My answer is both yes and no.


Static Web pages that are rarely updated and appear as though they were developed as part of an elementary school project should be a thing of the past. These sites are likely created by the media specialist who lacks the resources and sufficient knowledge to properly develop a Webpage. And why should they have that knowledge? Media specialists have many roles and responsibilities, and last I checked, Web programming wasn’t one of them. So, media centers with outdated, low-functioning Web sites should definitely consider changing them over to user-friendly blogs or wikis. However, in my opinion media specialists that have the proper resources to build an easy-to-use, eye-appealing Website with good functionality should continue to maintain Web pages and here’s why…


Unlike journal-like blogs, Websites allow the user to find information and access links much quicker. Ideally, the Website includes menus that provide direct links to specialized information, whereas blogs typically do not have extensive menus other than an archive of the last few dates or topics scrolled along the side. There have been countless times where I tried to locate a specific piece of information and had to scroll through (what feels like) hundreds of posts before I finally find the information I need. For instance, if I wanted information on how to find an Accelerated Reading book from Eastvalley Elementary School (http://eastvalley.typepad.com/media_center/) I would have to click through 15 posts until I get to the September 2010 post about Accelerated Reading. If it had been posted on a Website, Accelerated Reading could have its own menu link.


My alma mater, Wheeler High School, has a great Website at www.wheelerlibrary.com that demonstrates my point. It has quick links to sources and school projects that I think would be difficult to include in a blog. Coral Gables High School’s Media Center Webpage at http://cghs.dadeschools.net/library/ and Cyprus High School’s Media Center Webpage at http://www.cyprusmediacenter.org/ are also good examples of a well done Websites. Now, I definitely think blogs should be a component of the media Website since blogs are interactive and allow for quick posting of information, but if the central office of a school district has developed an easy-to-use Web template that allows for quick editing of the Website content, then I think a Website is still the way to go.


For media centers that have the capabilities to maintain appealing, user-friendly non-static Web sites, I think the media specialists should ensure they can answer “yes” to the following questions when evaluating their Websites to ensure they are providing the best possible Website:

1) Is the layout and design of the Website attractive and appealing to all targeted users?

2) Will your students be able to navigate the Website easily?

3) Did you run a spell check on the content? Is it free of spelling/grammatical errors?

4) Is the material objective and void of bias?

5) Will the Website be reviewed regularly and updated as needed?

6) Does the Website have multimedia capabilities, such as the ability to host videos and podcasts? If you wanted to highlight student work on the site, will you have the ability to do so?

7) Is the content relevant to student interest and learning standards? In my opinion, good media program Websites would include:

a. Link to the OPAC

b. Links to sources such as databases, search engines and other reference tools

c. Links to educational Websites

d. Contact information for the media center staff

e. Hours of operation

f. The media program’s Policies and Procedures

g. A media center orientation (either PowerPoint to upload or a video)

h. Tutorials for applications commonly used by students

i. Links relevant to student projects

j. Book reviews and book talks (either print or via pod casts)

k. A blog with the latest media center news

l. A section dedicated to teachers

m. The media center calendar

n. Links to student work


What are your feelings about media Websites? Is it worth the time and effort to maintain a traditional Website, or are newer Web 2.0 tools more beneficial? Do you have a different opinion as to what constitutes a good Website?

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with your thoughts on MC web pages. In one of our media classes that I took a few semesters ago, we had to evaluate MC web sites. I found that in my county and in surrounding counties, they were pretty sad. Most of the sites were linked to the county's Destiny page and then had links to some very basic info such as AR, Destiny look up, Galileo, online Britannica, etc. Nothing exceptional. I really liked the web links you included on your blog. They were informational and inviting. I think that blogs and wikis are great tools to use, but like you blogs can be time-consuming when trying to locate a specific topic that could be easily identified using a link on a web page.
    I don't think it is necessarily the job of the media specialist to create a web page. With budget and personnel cuts most media specialist are just trying to keep their heads above water. Maybe this could be part of their budget or a parent volunteer could keep the page updated. Use what resources are available!
    I think web pages should be used in conjunction with Web 2.0 technology. Not everything old is obsolete!

    ReplyDelete