Sunday, April 10, 2011

Electronic books

I’m not sure why I am so sad about the prospect of e-books. I can certainly see why they are convenient. They are easily portable, don’t take up much space, are instantly available and you can carry multiple books in your e-book reader at once. My current school (elementary level) uses on-line encyclopedias, but has print versions as well. I like Christopher Harris’ thought that children born now will be “bilingual” in that they will be able to read print books and e-books equally well, although I’m thinking as the cost comes down for e-book readers, technology will win out. While walking through a high school recently, I couldn’t help but notice the number of students with mp3 players attached to their ears. I can see where electronic media may encourage students to at least listen to books (or textbooks?) if they could upload the information to their iPod or mp3 player. The John Green article mentions e-books that include videos in place of illustrations. This seems to be a natural progression for e-books, but as a result, will this create generations of children with ADD and no imagination? David Lankes makes an argument for e-books and e-readers as a social activity. He points out several advantages to e-books: how they can evolve to encourage virtual book clubs and real time discussion. This could be used in schools also, possibly in a rural area so students can connect with others reading the same material and discuss it through their iPads. For now, I see the cost of obtaining e-books and e-readers and replacing lost or damaged ones as cost prohibitive for most school systems. I have recently heard, though, that Davis Academy is aspiring to provide ALL their students with an iPad! For me…I still want to walk into a book store or library and smell the books and feel their weight and touch the paper, but I’m sure I will eventually come around. Maybe.

6 comments:

  1. You are not the only one! All the other posts and responses I have read so far are along the same lines as you. Technology is great,but there is just something about picking up a book and turning the pages. I think you are right, eventually technology will win out, but I want my children to know how to read books. As a teacher its more than just words on a page. you are teaching them about author's, illustrators, table of contents, index... there is so much more to a book than words! I shutter at the thought of my children not reading books. We do EVERY night and they love it. I agree that e-books could stifle imagination and creativity. In a way it removes the personal connection created by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also somewhat sad about the prospect of e-books. I know they are very convenient in that you can easily take them anywhere and you can have multiple books on them. But for every advantage of using them I sure there are just as many disadvantages. I was recently on a flight and must admit I felt a little smug when the person next to me had to turn off their e-book for take off while I continued to read my paperback book. However, I was disappointed when I finished that book while on my trip and did not have another book with me to read. If I were using an e-book I could have had other books on there to choose from. I do think we will continue to see e-books become a part of education over time as the prices of them come down but in school systems that struggle financially I think we will continue to see print books for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if students will feel the same way about physical books when they reach our age. I don't think that they will. Since we grew up using a physical book for either pleasure or academic reading it is what we know and we are comfortable with it. I feel that there is a purpose for both. Since I've bought my iPad I know that if I'm stuck somewhere I can just open up my iPad and start reading my book. If I finish with it I can instantly get another one. I've also been re-reading some of the old classics because they are available for free online.

    I see ebooks becoming widely accepted and replacing textbooks. Students have to carry so many books home each day and can end up with back problems do the heavy weight. Having all of their books electronically will significantly reduce the weight they have to carry daily. I can also see that one day students will be able to highlight what they think is important and can then automatically have all highlighted sections assembled into one document for a quick and easy study guide.

    I stated in another blog that I'm still not convinced of the benefit of e-books in schools. So often schools rush into buying new things because they think that it will solve all of their problems and the students will learn better. As we all know this doesn't always happen. I would like to see research and data that show what the impact of ebooks are and how. Until then I'm hanging out on the fence. My school doesn't have ebooks available for all students so I haven't had the chance to determine the effect for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was first introduced to ebooks during the Instructional Technology course (which I think I had to take because I do not have an education background). My classmates and I even had the daunting assignment of creating an original ebook; but before taking on that project, we got to research a variety of ebooks. I was amazed by the ease of use as well as the interaction capabilities many of ebooks provided. I remember one ebook in particular that allowed the reader to push different buttons to get a variety of responses. My initial opinion about the ebooks I reviewed is that they are just a different way of doing story time. Instead of having a teacher or media specialist select a book and then read it to the entire class, students could instead select a book that peaks his/her own interest and still get the visual and narration elements.

    Years later, I now see many more benefits of ebooks other than for "storytime". E-books are often times cheaper and more readily accessible. There's never worry that a book is going to be "sold out" or "checked-out/not available”. They also save time (and you can even make a case that they help save the environment by reducing car emissions). No longer do people have to drive to libraries or bookstores to obtain books. Now, they have instant access. It also opens the door to many new authors who might not otherwise get published.

    Unfortunately, with the invention of the Kindle, the Nook and the iPad, I think tangible, printed books are going to be obsolete in the next few decades. Just recently, I have watched two big bookstores near my work close down because they are focusing on their ebook business. While I have found the Kindle to be quite beneficial when I travel or workout (easier to handle on an elliptical), there is still something special about a printed book. However, I think the only reason I prefer printed books is because that's what I grew up using. I imagine that soon ebooks will be the new norm for children, and just like cassette players for our age group, printed books will become a memory of the past. With this in mind, schools need to adapt to this new technology. By making textbooks and literature classics available via ebook, schools will open themselves up to many new educational possibilities rather than what’s limited to the media center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, there are a lot of people saddened and frightened by the prospect of eBooks. I think it is essential that media centers assist in the transition and be forerunners for our students and teachers. It is great that you all are already using online encyclopedias. This can help with planning collaborative lessons.

    As eBooks and eReaders become more common place and teachers become more efficient and comfortable using these technologies it will began to be used in a social manner. I don't think teachers are really using it as a social method as Lanks describes.

    You can also be creative by creating your own audio books, segments, or videos to be used with all those MP3 players you are seeing around the school.

    Accommodations have been used for a while using audio tools (ebooks, podcasts), other computer based tools have been used to assist disabled students are just being mainstreamed at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your concern that ebooks with videos may not allow children to use their own imaginations. Yet, as you said, the newer generations are growing up this technology and it is their norm. I think a healthy mix of ebooks and print books is a good solution for now.

    For instance, during the day when I am trying to get school work done, I allow my almost 4 year old to watch Tumble Books on the computer. We can access hundreds of these books for free via public library websites. Gwinnett County does not even require you to obtain a password (www.gwinnettpl.org). I can create a playlist of several books and my daughter can watch and listen to the ebooks. There are even activities and games she can complete when the book is done. But at nighttime, we still take time to read print books to her.

    For me, I prefer to use ebooks when I am doing research. But when it comes to pleasure reading I prefer the print book. Normally I do my pleasure reading on vacation - away from my home. As you mentioned, ereaders are still costly and one must worry about them getting lost, stolen, or broken.

    I think there is a place for both ebooks and print books. Everyone is different and will have different needs. As you pointed out, today's children are "bilingual" readers.

    ReplyDelete